Amazing Facts about Lake Victoria

Amazing Facts about Lake Victoria

Tatiana Regan | Situated in the East focal part of Africa, along with the equator where the nations of Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania are on the outskirts, is the Lake Victoria – which is 400,000 years of age.

It is Africa’s biggest tropical lake on the planet and has a surface territory of 26,600 square miles (68,800 square kilometers). It is the world’s second-biggest freshwater lake estimated by surface zone. Second to Lake Superior in North America and named after Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.

Arab dealers were the first to record the revelation of the lake. A guide of the lake was made by them going back to around 1160 AD. 

After the Arab dealers, John Hanning Speke was the main European to locate the lake. This happened in 1858 on an investigation to study Central Africa. He named the lake after the ruler of England at the time, Queen Victoria.

He asserted that it was the wellspring of the Nile waterway. This case caused an extraordinary discussion in mainstream researchers before being demonstrated right.

On May 21st, 1996 the ship MV Bukoba sank in the lake. Around one thousand individuals lost their lives making it one of the most noticeably bad sea debacles in Africa’s history. Yes, it happened and it is written in history.

The most interesting fact is that 80 percent of the lake’s water originates from the rain. The other 20 percent originates from little streams streaming into the lake – like Kagera River.

Aside from Kagera River, there are two other waterways stream out of the lake. These two waterways are called the White Nile (called the “Victoria Nile” where it leaves the lake), and the Katonga River.

The Lake Victoria is home to African Clawless Otter. These otters do go onto dry land every so often, yet they will, in general, be considerably more agreeable in the water. Spotted neck otters which are local to sub-Saharan Africa, are likewise a typical sight around Lake Victoria.

According to topographical examinations, Lake Victoria has evaporated totally a couple of times previously. The last time was around 17,300 years prior.

Like any other tourists’ spots and waterways, Lake Victoria suffers from ecological health problems. It faces numerous issues that are influencing its environmental wellbeing. Researchers expect that if there’s no action isn’t made soon, all life in this lake might vanish.

There are different reasons that influence the lake’s well-being:

Contamination or Pollution: A number of towns encompass this waterway. These towns dump gallons of crude sewage into the lake every day. This sewage is combined compost and synthetic compounds from ranches that can cause colossal contamination issue.

Water hyacinth: This plant multiplies quickly and covers vast territories of the lake. The thick tangle of these plants block the sun rays which is required for survival by the life beneath the surface.

The blasting fish-send out industry: The interest for fish has been expanding quickly with the number of inhabitants in Africa. This is bringing the fish populaces down to hazardously low dimensions.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *